E-Cigarette Safety & Maintenance
- Do not carry loose batteries around in your pocket. Always store your batteries in a cool and dry environment when not in use.
- Use an eraser (rubber) to clean the contacts and use a new dry toothbrush to clean the contact threads.
- Always ensure that the atomiser is clean and free of any debris that could cause the device to have an electrical short.
- Always keep batteries dry. Never submerge in water.
- Every so often clean the battery mod with a chemical free cloth.
- Ensure the buttons on the device are free from debris.
- Always use 2 batteries of the same brand, type and capacity in devices that use 2 batteries. Never mix IMR and ICR batteries, and charge both at the same time.
- Always keep charging ports clean and free of debris that may hinder charging.
- Always ensure the battery is switched off, in most cases by clicking power button 5 times.
- When buying new batteries don’t use if there appears to be any damage to the battery, or if the original packaging has been damaged/tampered with.
- Only use the original charger supplied with the battery to charge your device.
- Examine the micro USB charging cables and ensure there is no visible damage.
- Do not leave batteries on charge unattended.
- Ensure the connector on the charger is clean and free of any moisture or debris before connecting to the battery. Keep the charger contacts clean.
- Keep in mind that on chargers with varying charging rates that high charging rates can shorten the life of the battery.
- For batteries that are charged via the atomiser connector, ensure the charging rate is no greater than the capacity of the battery, (e.g. do not charge a 150mAh battery on a charger with an output of 420mAh).
- Ensure the charger rating is suitable for the batteries being charged, ensure the contacts on the charger and batteries are dry and clean.
- When fitting your new atomiser head, you should ensure it is fully primed with e-liquid before use. This is done to prevent a dry atomiser burn. This can be done by filling the tank with your e-liquid, attaching the atomiser to the tank and leave to stand at one side for 5/10 minutes allowing the atomiser head to soak up e-liquid.
- Another option is to drip a small amount of e-liquid directly onto the wicking material of a new atomiser so you can avoid waiting for it to prime.
- Alternatively, you can inhale a few times through the mouthpiece without pressing the power button on your device, this will help to pull the e-liquid through to the coil. If the tank has airflow control, this should be closed during this priming operation.
- Atomisers generally need no maintenance other than changing for a new one – They should last between 2-3 weeks with heavy/medium usage or 4-5 weeks with light usage.
- It is not recommended that you wash atomiser heads. Separate heads should be kept for specific flavours types (e.g. menthol, fruits and tobacco).
- You can clean vape tanks between flavours using a small amount of water and a mild detergent.
- After washing make sure to check that all seals are in place and secure.
- Contact threads can be kept clean with a dry toothbrush.
- Inspect the tank for cracks and replace if necessary.
- Check for missing seals on the tank and the atomiser head.
- Be mindful of drawing too hard on the inhale as this can cause more e-liquid to be pulled through the atomiser head than it can heat and vaporise quickly enough.
- After filling a tank, always wipe any excess e-liquid from the atomiser before refitting the to the tank
- Extreme heat can cause any remaining air in the tank to expand forcing the e-liquid out of the tank.
- Always store e-liquids in a cool dry place and out of reach of children.
- If the e-liquid is stored correctly i.e. in a cool, dry and dark place, then the shelf life of the liquid should be 2 years from the date of manufacture. After this time, there may be some loss of flavour.
- Sometimes e-liquids can oxidise. This happens when the air is left inside the bottle or if the cap hasn’t been securely fitted. This can result in the liquid appearing darker in colour, but has no effect on the flavour or quality of the liquid.
- Wear gloves and eye protection and clean any spillages on your skin with clean water.
- Make sure your workspace is clean and tidy and make sure you have all relevant equipment to hand so you can ensure accurate mixing.
- Store all equipment safely when not mixing.
A great place where you can buy all the accessories you need for your device, Debangstix UK, check them out here.